Become a Registrar
Thank you for choosing to become a .CA Registrar. Registrars are the people and organizations that register and manage .CA domain names on behalf of their customers. They are the main point of contact for .CA Registrants in the management of their .CA domain names.
To become a .CA Registrar, you must meet CIRA's certification requirements, including the following:
- You must meet CIRA's Canadian Presence Requirements for Registrars.
- You must be able to pay all required fees.
- You must demonstrate that you are able to provide the required Registrar services.
- You must understand the .CA registration rules and the domain name system.
- You must respect and follow all CIRA policies, rules and procedures related to the registration and management of .CA domain names.
- You must sign the CIRA Registrar Agreement.
To become a CIRA-certified .CA Registrar:
- Complete the online Expression of Interest (EOI). Upon receipt of the completed EOI, CIRA will courier an application package to you.
- Complete the application package and mail it to the address indicated on the form.
- Return the completed application package, along with payment of all required fees, to CIRA.
Upon receipt of your Expression of Interest, CIRA will send an application package to you.
This package must be completed in full. Once complete, return the package to CIRA, along with the required fees (by certified cheque or money order):
- $1,000 application fee plus applicable taxes.
- $1,000 annual certification fee plus applicable taxes (refundable if you are not certified).
- $1,000 account deposit (refundable if you are not certified).
Once we receive your completed application, you will be contacted to arrange a telephone interview. At the interview, the details of your application will be reviewed. We will also ask questions regarding your operation`s technical and client-service capacity.
Following the interview, CIRA will assess your application. The certification and re-certification of a Registrar is at CIRA's sole discretion. For more information on the CIRA Certified Registrar Application Process, click here.
You will receive written notification regarding the status of your application.
All CIRA-certified Registrars must pass an accreditation exam in order to register and manage .CA domain names. If a Registrar wants to integrate their registration system with CIRA`s EPP-based registry system, they must also pass a technical accreditation exam.